Notion is, certainly, the world’s greatest productiveness device. For years I felt unable to successfully mix my left mind curiosity with my proper mind want for group, these days are lengthy gone.
With Notion, you may handle initiatives, brainstorm new concepts, arrange conferences, journal, create fast web sites, and extra. The record may actually go on and on ceaselessly.
As a giant Notion fan, I assumed it might be useful to share a number of of my favourite Notion Tips for rising your productiveness. I take advantage of the following tips and tips in Notion each single day so you may relaxation assured understanding they’re battle-tested within the app.
47 Notion Tips for Productivity
Want to see a full record of all the Notion ideas listed within the video? Here’s a full breakdown of the record.
1. Dark Theme in Notion
To allow Dark Mode in Notion:
- Go to ‘Settings and Members’
- Select Appearance
- Change the dropdown menu to ‘Dark’.
You may also hit Control+Shift+ L on a windows PC or Command+Shift+L on a Mac to allow darkish mode in Notion. Now your eyes will thanks.
2. Quick Search in Notion
To shortly seek for a web page in Notion:
- Hit Command+P on a Mac or Control+P on a PC.
This will pop up a fast menu that can scan your whole pages. I take advantage of this one all of the dang time.
3. Add Page or Person Using the @ Symbol in Notion
You can hyperlink instantly to a different web page by merely typing the ‘@’ image and deciding on the web page you want to reference. You may also add particular customers by typing within the ‘@’ image and deciding on their title.
4. Create Block Columns in Notion
Notion means that you can arrange blocks facet by facet. To create a block column in Notion:
- Select the six gray dots to the left facet of the block or blocks you wish to arrange.
- Move the chosen block the facet of the block you want to create facet by facet columns
- Once you see a blue vertical line you may click on away.
5. Forward Slash Shortcut in Notion
Instead of choosing the plus icon to create a brand new block. Just hit ‘/’ and kind within the title of the block you want to create. This will help you shortly create new blocks with out touching your mouse.
6. Change Fonts in Notion
You can change the default font for a web page in Notion by deciding on the menu within the high proper and deciding on your font fashion of selection. When I’m in a cultured temper I’ll change to serif.
7. Change Your Page Width in Notion
The default Notion structure has very large margins. However, if you wish to make the most of the empty house simply go to the menu within the high proper and choose ‘Full Width’.
8. Icons and Covers in Notion
Unless you’re employed at Dunder Mifflin, the default web page icon in Notion is kinda boring… I discover it manner simpler to see and arrange my pages by utilizing easy little icons that characterize what’s inside my pages. To set a brand new icon in Notion:
- Select the ‘Add Icon’ button on the high of a web page.
You may also change the duvet picture to make your pages really feel extra thrilling. I typically use my cowl photographs as temper boards for the precise challenge I’m engaged on.
9. Viewing Page Updates in Notion
Did you by chance delete some essential data out of your web page? No downside. Just like Google Docs, you may view all updates and iterations of your web page historical past in Notion by navigating to the ellipses on the high proper and deciding on web page historical past.
10. Embedding Videos in Notion
Notion means that you can embed social media hyperlinks and video from locations like YouTube or Vimeo. To embed a video in Notion:
- Simply get the video’s URL hyperlink and paste it onto your web page or in a video block.
This is improbable for organizing coaching movies, creating studying curriculums, or protecting movies as reference.
11. Favoriting Pages in Notion
I typically discover that I go to the identical pages repeatedly. So as an alternative of clicking round and navigating to the web page merely favourite your web page in Notion by clicking the ‘favourite’ button within the high proper. This will add the web page to your record of favorites within the sidebar menu on the left.
12. Locking Pages in Notion
Don’t need somebody to vary your web page? No downside. Lock your Notion pages by:
- Selecting the ellipses icon within the high proper
- Choose ‘Lock Page’.
Now the web page cannot be up to date till you unlock it once more.
13. Sharing Notion Pages with Others
Want to ask somebody to take a look at a selected web page? You can share a Notion web page with another person by deciding on ‘Share’. By sharing the hyperlink you’ll permit anybody to see your web page identical to an internet site. But in case you click on ‘Show Link Options’ you may permit anybody on the earth to edit, remark, or duplicate your web page. You may also permit your pages to be listed and located by search engines like google like Google.
If you wish to add collaborators or people, you may merely sort of their e mail. Just remember the fact that except you particularly prohibit a web page, any little one pages inside will probably be seen to the particular person you share your dad or mum web page with.
14. Leaving Comments in Notion
If you wish to depart suggestions by way of a remark in Notion merely choose a block and select ‘Comment’. You may also hit Control+Shift+M on a PC or Command+Shift+M on a Mac to do the identical factor. You can point out individuals and pages from round your Notion board utilizing feedback.
15. Embedding Outside Documents in Notion Pages
Did you recognize you may embed paperwork from exterior assets? To embed a doc in Notion:
- Type ‘/’ and ’embed’
You will see a giant record of issues you may embed together with Google Maps, Loom Videos, PDFs, and More.
16. Allow Search Indexing for Notion Pages
A Notion Workspace is actually an internet site that may be accessed from anyplace on the earth. To permit your Notion pages to be discovered by anybody utilizing Google:
- Select ‘Share’
- Click ‘Show Link Options’
- Select ‘Search Engine Indexing’.
17. Create a Notion Toggle List
A toggle record is a good way to consolidate prolonged pages. To create a toggle record in Notion:
- Simply choose your required title textual content and switch it right into a toggle record.
- Add your whole related blocks inside.
Now, once you click on the toggle record you will see every little thing inside. With the fundamentals behind us, it is time for us to check out a number of professional ideas in Notion.
18. Creating Formulas in Notion
Similar to Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel, you may create formulation in your Notion tables that may robotically change numbers based mostly in your predefined formulation.
There are many alternative formatting methods to recollect, so in case you ever get misplaced you could find a hyperlink to more information by clicking here.
19. Keyboard Shortcuts Between Notion Workspaces
If you’ve got a number of Notion Workspaces you may shortly navigate between them by hitting command on a Mac or management on a PC and choose a selected quantity.
20. Copying Notion Heading Styles
Notion heading types may be copied and pasted into different platforms like Google Docs or Squarespace whereas retaining their types. This is nice in case you write weblog posts in Notion as a result of the types ought to stay intact.
21. Table of Contents in Notion Pages
If you’ve got a protracted web page with documentation, a desk of contents may be a good way to see what’s going on all through the web page. To create a desk of contents in Notion:
- Type in ahead slash ‘/’
- Select Table of Contents
The new hyperlinks will now robotically take you to varied sections of your web page.
22. Duplicate Notion Blocks
There are two key methods to duplicate blocks in Notion:
- Option 1: Hit Command+D on a mac or Control+D on a PC.
- Option 2: Select your blocks, maintain down the choice, and drag them to the place they should go.
23. Color Coding Notion Blocks
I prefer to color-code my pages and blocks relying on my challenge. For instance, if I’m enhancing an article I’d shade the sections which can be good inexperienced, the sections that want enchancment, yellow, and the sections that must be eliminated crimson. It all relies upon by yourself organizational fashion.
24. Set Reminders in Notion
To set reminders for your self in Notion:
- Find the data that you simply wish to be reminded of.
- Type an ‘@’ image and remind with the day and time you wish to be reminded.
If you wish to remind a fellow workforce member, simply do ‘@’ and kind their title subsequent to the reminder.
25. Export Notion Pages
You can export complete Notion pages as PDFs, Offline HTML information, or CSVs for Excel or Google Sheets. To export a web page in Notion:
- Go to the Ellipses within the high proper of your web page
- Select Export.
You can now choose your export technique of selection.
26. Export CSVs from Notion
Sometimes chances are you’ll wish to take a desk from Notion, and produce it right into a device like Google Sheets or Microsoft excel. To export a desk as a CSV format in Notion:
- Find the desk you want to export
- Select the ellipses
- Choose export as markdown and CSV.
The file can now be opened in your spreadsheet device of selection.
27. Import CSVs into Notion
You may also import tables from different databases. To import a CSV into Notion:
- Select ‘Import’ from the dropdown menu.
- Select CSV.
- Select Your File from Your Computer.
Once imported you will notice your new database in your web page.
28. Hide Database Properties in Notion
If you wish to cover a property out of your database, you may simply choose the ellipses on the high of your database and select properties. This is nice for customizing linked databases to your liking.
29. Adding Emojis in Notion
Unlike different phrase processing apps, you may’t merely right-click and add an emoji in Notion. Instead all you’ve got two choices:
- Option 1: Hit ‘:’ and kind the title of the emoji you wish to use.
- Option 2: Select Control+Command+Space on a Mac computers or Windows Key + Period on a windows PC to open up the emoji menu.
30. “Favorite” Pages from Other Notion Workspaces
Favoriting is a good way to avoid wasting pages from a single workspace. But what if you wish to shortly entry a web page on one other workspace within the sidebar? It’s straightforward. To favourite a web page from one other workspace:
- Simply transfer the web page to your major workspace
- Favorite it
- Move it again to the unique workspace.
You’ll now have the ability to leap between workspaces from a single sidebar.
31. Link to a Specific Notion Block
Just like linking to a web page, you may hyperlink to a selected block in Notion by:
- Selecting the six gray dots subsequent to the block.
- Choosing ‘Copy Link’.
You can now navigate on to that block utilizing the copied hyperlink sooner or later.
32. Toggle Between Notion Windows
Having a number of Notion home windows open on the identical time is crucial for doing fast work. I’ll typically snap my home windows utilizing a device just like the Better Snap Tool so that they equally replenish my display. But if you wish to toggle between your home windows in Notion simply hit command+~ on a Mac or alt+tab on a PC.
33. Linked Databases from Other Notion Workspaces
Databases can hyperlink past a single workspace. To create a linked database in Notion:
- Copy the hyperlink to the database
- Paste it in your workspace of selection.
Now you may see any updates made all through each databases.
In this subsequent part, I’ll share a number of ideas for organizing and optimizing your life with Notion.
34. Create a Home Page in Notion
Just like an internet site, it is best to arrange your Notion dashboard with a house web page that can help you entry essential hyperlinks from round your Notion workspace with out having to navigate by way of subpages or muddy up your sidebar.
Notion has an honest Personal Home web page template that you need to use, however I at all times advocate customizing it to your liking. Mine consists of objectives, studying lists, trip plans, funds, and extra.
35. Create a Journal in Notion
I’ve discovered that protecting a journal is among the greatest methods to begin my day and destress. My favourite approach to preserve a journal in Notion is to create a calendar and add a area for the date. I’ll then sort in every every day entry.
You may also take it one step additional and add checkboxes for habits you’d prefer to create like figuring out or ingesting water.
By filtering you may inform how nicely you might be doing in every behavior.
36. Create a Reading List in Notion
I prefer to create a studying record database and tag the books based mostly on which key areas of my life the guide will assist me develop in. You can discover a record of my classes beneath. This is a good way to be sure to aren’t bogging your self down with too many books in a single particular class. If you are like me chances are you’ll learn too many enterprise books, so this will help you concentrate on different key areas of life.
37. Create a Goals Chart in Notion
I additionally advocate making a objectives chart so you may see what you might be at present working in direction of. Again, take into consideration the ten key areas of life and be sure to are at all times attempting to enhance in every class. Set a SMARTER purpose, That’s a purpose that’s particular, measurable, actionable, dangerous, thrilling, and related. You must be excited to realize every of those objectives.
38. Notion Web Clipper – A Fantastic Free Extension
There’s an incredible chrome extension known as Notion Web Clipper that can robotically import pages from the web into your Notion database of selection. Just set up the extension, click on the icon on the web page you wish to save, and select your database. I like to make use of Notion Web Clipper for saving movies, articles, and merchandise I want to purchase.
Pro Tip: You can arrange a standing property in order that after you learn the article it’s going to robotically be filtered off your record.
In this subsequent part, we’ll discuss a number of ideas for utilizing Notion for Work.
39. Use Page Templates in Notion
Templates are one of the crucial highly effective options inside Notion. Templates help you create default web page types that may shortly be created and used. I take advantage of templates to create assembly templates, content material checklists, and extra. You can discover Notion’s template library by deciding on the ‘Templates’ button on a brand new web page. Here you will discover templates for every little thing from Engineering Roadmaps to Reading Goals.
40. Quick To-Do Lists (Template Buttons in Notion)
You can create a template button on a web page that may shortly be used to recall something from checklists to tables. To create a template button in Notion:
- Create the factor you wish to be generated from the template button. This may be textual content, checklists, spreadsheets, or extra.
- Select the ‘Template’ button from the block menu.
- Give your template a reputation.
- Drag in your blocks into the ‘Template’ part.
- Once you have added your template content material choose ‘Close’.
Now you may recall your template by merely hitting the title of the template you simply created.
41. Templates in Notion Databases
Database templates are excellent in case you arrange issues like conferences or content material checklists in a single database. To create a template inside a Notion database:
- Create a brand new web page within the database
- Click ‘open’ to see the web page inside
- Select the ‘Create a Template’ button.
- Create all the blocks you want to see. You may also emebed different databases into your template.
- Once your template is full, Give it a reputation and click on away.
Now once you create a brand new web page within the database you will notice the template choice you could click on.
42. Databases in Page Templates
When you create a brand new template you may embed a database. For instance, in case you had a database with duties, you would copy a hyperlink to the duty database. When you create a brand new template on a brand new web page, you may paste the hyperlink to reference the unique linked database. You can then filter the brand new database to your liking. Now everytime you activate the brand new template, the linked database will probably be inside. Any modifications to the unique database will probably be mirrored within the created pages from the template.
If that paragraph was complicated I like to recommend trying out this tip visually within the Notion Tips video tutorial on the high of this web page.
43. Task Boards in Notion
Task boards are an essential manner to verify your whole work, chores, and duties are getting carried out. There are a ton of various strategies on the market for creating activity lists, however right here is my favourite.
In Notion I’ll create a brand new web page known as ‘All Tasks’. I’ll then create an inline database and embrace the next sections.
- A Status Section with the choices of ‘Not Started’ ‘In Progress’ ‘Complete’ ‘Blocked/Waiting’ ‘Deleted’ and ‘Quality Check’ Each activity will probably be assigned a sure standing based mostly on its progress.
- A Date Section that claims ‘Deadline/Timeline’
- A Person Column that claims ‘Responsible’. You will assign your duties to whomever is sensible right here.
- A Priority Section that has 5 ranges every beginning with a quantity:1 – Low Priority2 – Mid Priority3 – High Priority4 – Fire Emoji/Communication5 – 5 Minute Fix
- I additionally prefer to have a bit for ‘Created Time’ and ‘Last Edited’.
Now, you may edit and assign your duties in a single place.
Once full, type your activity record by ‘Priority’ with 5 being on the high, and 1 on the backside.
When I sit all the way down to work I’ll begin on the high and work my manner down. At the top of every day I’ll reassign duties for the following day.
It additionally helps to filter your duties in order that ‘accomplished’ duties are eliminated.
I’ll usually create a brand new web page with a linked database and kind by ‘Last Edited’ to see an inventory of my most up-to-date accomplished duties.
Pro Tip: No matter how small the duty, I at all times advocate including it to your board as it is possible for you to to see precisely how a lot work you accomplished by the top of every day by making a filtered view.
This system has labored flawlessly for me and I believe you will get pleasure from it.
44. Filter Notion Databases for a Specific Needs
If you’re employed with a workforce, an amazing activity board may be… nicely, overwhelming. Instead, what I like to prepare every activity by assigning duties to every particular person. Once assigned, I’ll create a brand new web page for every particular person and replica and paste the linked database to the brand new web page. I’ll now filter based mostly on simply that particular person’s title.
Now, if a brand new activity is created and the particular person is tagged. They will robotically see the duty on their board. I’ll usually take this one step additional and filter any ‘accomplished’ duties off to be eliminated so as soon as a activity is accomplished it’s faraway from their board.
45. Task Templates in Notion
If you are like me, you most likely have reoccurring duties in your job or life together with Writing Weekly Newsletters, Checking Support Tickets, or Contacting Clients.
If you have already arrange a private activity board, you may simply create templates for weekly or every day duties by creating an analogous board beneath your major activity board feed. I prefer to pre tag my reoccurring duties so I can merely copy and paste them into my board. I usually have one board for reoccurring every day duties and one board for reoccurring weekly duties.