youtube-dl is an Open Source instruction tool that allows you to download video from YouTube (and many other videos sites). It’s often considered better than those paid video downloaders. Even Windows has a YouTube GUI client, there are not any such resources available for macOS. So, during this article, we’ll offer you a walkthrough on the way to install youtube dl on mac.
(1) To install, youtube-dl, you would like to put in Wget first. And so as to put in Wget, you would like to install homebrew first. So, copy paste the subsequent command on your Mac’s terminal (press cmd + space and type in terminal). Once you run the subsequent command, you Mac will download Homebrew main file from Github. you’ll need to enter your Mac’s password several times. the entire process will take 10-15 minutes counting on your Internet speed.
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
(2) Once you have downloaded Homebrew, you are ready to install Wget. Type in the following command and also enable OpenSSL for TLS support.
brew install wget --with-libressl
(3) Now that we’ve Wget to download packages from the web , we’ll use it to download and install Youtube-dl package. Type within the following command and press enter.
sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
(4) You have now successfully installed youtube-dl on your Mac, however, it won’t work yet. to see you’ll type youtube-dl on your terminal and it’ll throw a permission error. to repair this, you would like to give the proper permissions, type within the following command and press enter.
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
(5) And that’s it, now you ought to be ready to download YouTube videos (or any videos from youtube-dl supported sites) by simply typing youtube-dl [video-link]. for instance , to download one among my videos from YouTube, I’ll type within the following command.
(6) You can find the downloaded video in your home folder on your mac. To mention the home folder simply attend Finder > Go > Home or press the keyboard shortcut CMD + Shift + H.
By default, YouTube-dl FFmpeg will download the second highest resolution. you’ll need to install FFmpeg to urge the very best quality video. Without FFmpeg, you’ll likely get the second highest which in our case was 720p. to put in FFmpeg, type within the following command.